Air/Sea Freight

What air and sea freight you bring is very much a matter of personal choice. If you are relocating to the UK from the tropics in winter, an extra warm jacket/coat, warm sweaters as well as warm shoes are useful items in your airfreight. You may want to consider closely the items that you would like to air freight , keeping in mind that these are essentials required in the first few days of your move , before the arrival of your sea freight. Some suggestions you may want to consider are a laptop/computer for personal use , some additional toys for children. Tea cups , cutlery, rice cooker , folding chairs etc can come handy. 

Container (Where & How To Retrieve It)

Team Relocations work closely together with their moving partner TGG which is represented by Team allied in Europe, who will arrange your household move in the UK. They will discuss the moving process with you and will keep you informed where your belongings are and when they will arrive.


What to take

The UK has a three-pin system for electric plugs. The voltage in the UK, as elsewhere in Europe , is 220-230 volt and 50 Cycles. It is useful to bring an adapter plug that can be bought in some electric shops or a duty free shop in your base country. You can however find adapter plugs much cheaper in most supermarkets, Argos Shops and electronic stores in the UK.  

What not to take

There are strict rules about bringing some foodstuff and related products, including animal hides to the European Union (EU) countries because they can carry animal and plant pests and diseases.

Personal imports (meaning for your own use) of meat and meat products and milk/dairy products are banned from most countries outside the EU. It is also forbidden bringing the following items to the UK: potatoes, plants, fish, shellfish, honey, eggs and egg products, certain fruit and vegetables.

If you are unsure about any food products you are bringing in, speak to UK Border Agency (UKBA) officer in the red channel to leave the airport or on the red point phone.

Animal hides can only be brought to the UK if they have been tanned. Tanning is a process by which the skins are hardened using vegetable or chemical agents.

Be aware that gifts and foods available in certain countries can be made from endangered plants or animals. In that case you may not be allowed to bring it to the UK.

For more information please call the Defra helpline on +44 (0)207 238 6951 or check the website .

Tax & Duty

If you are travelling to the UK from the European Union (EU), you can bring in an unlimited amount of most goods for your own use.  There are only a few goods, such as offensive weapons and illegal drugs that you can’t bring to the UK no matter where you are travelling from. Other goods, like firearms are restricted.

If you are travelling to or from a country outside the European Union you must declare any cash of over 10,000 Euros or more (or the equivalent in other currencies) to HM Revenue & Customs. The term cash covers currency notes and coins, banker’s drafts and cheques of any kind.

Please see the for more information on how to declare cash

When you travel   to the UK from Outside the European Union (EU), you can bring in a certain amount of duty/Tax-free goods for your own use. This is known as an allowance and applies on goods like for example alcohol, tobacco and perfume on other goods there are regulations with respect to the value of the goods.

For more information on Tax on personal items when moving to UK please see